Professional Movers are More than Matching Shirts
If you are considering hiring a professional mover to handle your upcoming relocation, it’s important that you do your research and know who you are hiring. Professional moving companies are more than just a few guys in matching shirts. Just like most industries, your local Jupiter moving company is required to adhere to certain restrictions, obtain certifications, and maintain licensing. You should not consider working with any moving company without verifying their insurance and licenses.
Moving Companies Require Certifications and Licensing
Licenses and certifications vary by state and local authorities. Federal law requires interstate (moves over the state line) movers to register their trucks with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Certifications from the U.S. Department of Transportation (the DoT) represents what the company is permitted to haul. Moving companies must successfully demonstrate the ability to haul a category of item safely and efficiently to earn certification in the area. WIth roughly 30 areas of certification, professional movers responsible for relocating household items must be certified in general freight and household goods. This lets you know that the moving company is safely transporting your belongings.
In addition to registering with the Federal DoT, Chapter 507, Florida Statutes, requires any person engaged in intrastate moving to register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS). Bald Eagle Moving, LLC is licensed as an Intrastate Mover (#IM2731) and can assist you with any general freight or household goods move.
It’s important to be aware, moving companies cannot transport hazardous materials, this can include the gas in your lawn mower or generator, cans of paint, and other items.
Moving Companies Need Proper Insurance
When going through the moving process, most or all of your belongings are boxed up and moved from one location to another. Who is responsible if somehting goes wrong? What happens to your items?
Professional moving companies must carry proper insurance to protect your treasures because they are legally liable during the time that they have the contents of your home in their possession.
If you are moving in a condo or apartment building, it’s likely that you will require proof of this insurance for your building or HOA.
Bald Eagle Moving is fully insured.
Ask your potential mover the right questions!
Making the right move and hiring a professional moving company starts with asking the right questions. Here are some to consider while searching for the right team:
- Is the company insured?
- Is the company registered with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services?
- How long has the company been in business?
- What types of payments are accepted and when is payment due?
- How does the company handle claims for damages or delays?
- Does the company have an on-time delivery record?
- Does the company offer packing services if needed?
- Do my appliances need special attention before or during the move?
- Can my possessions be stored temporarily if needed?
- Do I need an estimate?
- According to Chapter 507, Florida Statutes, a written estimate and contract are required for all intrastate moves. The estimate must contain specific language and must be signed by both parties.